Well, one day into the new year and I’m already craving pizza. No problem. Instead of ordering delivery, I made this Supreme Pizza Soup recipe, which has all of that pizza flavor I love, but won’t derail my healthy eating efforts. I even slipped some spinach in under the cover of basil and nobody in my family even raised an eyebrow. Success! You can customize it to however you like your pizza. You could even add some cooked, small pasta to it if you wanted to. I didn’t because I’m using my 21 Day Fix containers to keep me on track and I didn’t want to use a golden yellow container on noodles. Hope you like it. When you make it, let me know in the comments what toppings you added.
Supreme Pizza Soup Recipe
Makes about 6 servings
- I lb Italian sausage (casings removed) or Italian seasoned ground turkey
- 4 cloves of garlic – finely diced
- 1 cup of onions – diced
- 1 green pepper – diced
- 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can of pizza sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pepperoni – diced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach – chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil – chopped
- Shredded pizza cheese (for garnish)
- Whole wheat pita shell (for garnish)
- In a large pot, brown the Italian sausage or Italian seasoned ground turkey and drain the fat. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, start cooking the garlic cloves. When the garlic starts to get fragrant and golden brown, add the onions and peppers and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pizza sauce,broth, seasonings, and the meat back into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add the pepperoni, spinach and basil and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- While that’s simmering, toast your pita shell and cut it into 6 pieces.
- Serve with shredded cheese and a wedge of the pita shell.
21 Day Fix Container Counts: (about 2 cups of soup)
1 red (sausage), 1 purple (tomatoes), 1/2 green (veggies), 1 blue (cheese)
Are you doing the 21 Day Fix? Check these other 21 Day Fix Recipes: