This week was much easier than last week and I feel like I’m in the swing of it. Last week, I was hungry all the time, but I feel more normal this week –definitely not as hungry. I mainly kept to my plan and my normal workout schedule. Running was a little rough on Sunday. I felt like I was wearing concrete shoes and I had no energy, but the rest of the week was better. I’m kind of shocked and more than a little bit proud of myself that I made it this far. On to week 3! Are you doing the 21 DSD? Comment below. I’d love to hear how it’s going.
Thoughts, Observations and Tips:
- Once again, planning is everything. Every Sunday morning, I pick my recipes and head to the grocery store. Last week, I forgot to include snacks to bring to work and it nearly sent me diving into the vending machine. This week, I remembered to plan for those snacks and it was much better. Take a moment to think about your schedule for the week and what you need to do to work with your schedule to be successful.
- If you can put it on a bun, you can probably make it into a salad. Spring fever has hit my house and the grill has come out. I made a Cheeseburger Salad with a Dijon Dressing and it was delicious. I barely missed the bun.
- Homemade Paleo Mayo is the bomb. I will never buy jarred again. Check out the recipe here.
- I feel like variety is another key to being successful on this detox (and probably any other meal plan). If you are eating a chicken breast and a salad for every meal, it’s going to get old really quick. Change it up. There are a ton of websites with great Paleo recipes. Go explore. This week, I changed my breakfast to get a break from eggs and also made chicken salad and some new dinner recipes. It made a huge difference. It helps keep it interesting and lets you focus on all of the foods you can have, rather than the stuff you can’t.
- I went to the movies and didn’t eat a single kernel of popcorn. Not a single one. It was hard, but not impossible. For me, I found it was easier to not eat anything than to try to eat raw almonds or something. Eating almonds is not the same as eating popcorn at a movie. It’s just not the same.
- True Confession: I did eat 2 corn tortillas. I had dinner with my grandma and instead of taking her out, which is what I had planned, she cooked dinner for me. Sometimes plans go out the window and you just have to roll with it. I turned down dessert and didn’t go near her candy jar, so it wasn’t a total bust. When your 90 year old grandma cooks dinner for you, you shut up about your detox and eat whatever she makes. And then get back on the horse tomorrow.
- We did a lot of running around this week and it seemed like we ate out a lot. I stuck to my plan of getting salads and soup and it worked great. The kids begged to go to The Chocolate Factory, which has the most delicious bread, along with many, many flavors of ice cream. They also give you a piece of chocolate with your meal. Yum, but not so 21DSD friendly. The kids get chocolate chip cookies with their meals, which mine didn’t eat. So, I had to smell the wonderful bread and stare at these cookies (and chocolate squares) while I ate my salad. Torture. I’m pretty proud of myself that I stuck to the plan there. I just ordered a chicken salad sandwich without the delicious bread and they gave it to me in a bowl with spinach. Done.
Some great recipes that I made this week:
- Apple Streusel Egg Muffins from Balanced Bites. Had these for breakfast for a much needed break from eggs.
- Cheeseburger Salad
- Chicken Salad. Yum.
- Almost 5 Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie from PaleOMG
- Taco Salad
- Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Week 2 Wins:
- I did not eat the homemade mayo on a spoon – although I did think about it.
- Oreos are still untouched in the cabinet.
- I took the kids to the movies and the ice cream shop and stayed on track.
- I haven’t had any stomach issues since I started this detox and that is fantastic.