It’s been so gray and generally depressing outside that I’ve been making a lot of soup lately. Is it just me? I love soup and there’s nothing better on these long winter days. This Meatball Veggie Pesto Soup is packed with goodness and it has meatballs, which I admit was shameless pandering to my kids. They gobbled it up though, so it worked.
It’s so easy to customize with whatever veggies you have on hand and by making the meatballs ahead of time, you save a ton of time. It’s perfect for an easy weeknight meal. Either throw it in the slow cooker before work or make it on the stove top when you get home. So easy. Also, if you are doing the 21 Day Fix, I put the container counts at the bottom. Hope you like it!
Meatball Veggie Pesto Soup Recipe
Makes about 5 servings
- 1 lb of ground beef or turkey – lean
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup dry oatmeal
- (Note: If you use ground beef, you might want to throw in an egg to hold everything together. I used ground turkey, so I didn’t use an egg.)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide the turkey and shape them into bite sized meat balls and lay them out on a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 1 batch of meatballs
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup of diced onions
- 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of white cannelloni beans – drained and rinsed
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Stovetop: In a large soup pot, cook the onions in the olive oil until the onions start to get soft. Add everything but the meatballs, spinach and cheese and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Add the meatballs and the spinach and simmer another 5-10 minutes or until everything is hot and the veggies are tender. Serve with the shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Slow Cooker: Add all of the ingredients except the cheese to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hours. Serve with the shredded cheese
21 Day Fix Container Counts:
For the 21 Day Fix, I would measure out about 2 cups. I would count this as 1 red, 1 green, 1/2 yellow and 1 blue (cheese).
Did you make it? I’d love to hear how you made it your own. Comment below and let me know!
Want more 21 Day Fix Recipes, tips and tricks? Check out my book.